Otaku of America

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Otaku of America

A safe place for American Otaku, Anime Fans and Japanese Pop Culture Enthusiasts.

3 posters

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2)

TylerJunky
    TylerJunky
    Admin

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) Empty Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2)

Post  TylerJunky Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:25 pm

Looking for a Seinen manga with a modern day blind samurai vigilante cutting people up in order to protect a cute loli. Look no further then Until Death Do Us Part

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) Color-pg-2 Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) Color-pg-1

“Until Death Do Us Part” is an ongoing Seinen Manga written by Hiroshi Takashige and drawn by DOUBLE-S. That’s his Pin Name. I don’t know his real name. The fan scans are courtesy of bakakage.net and imanga, and the scanulation site is tenmanga.com. Please give them lots of prase and site hits. The manga started its serialization in the Japanese Young Gangan Magazine in December 2005 issue. Currently, 14 volumes have been published in manga form.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 1
    Your nine years to young to be saying things like that girl.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 3
    This is how Mamoru see the world around him.

This is just another one of those mangas that – in my own opinion – really deserves an anime adaptation. I’ve seen vary few good Seinen Animes based on good Seinen Mangas. The only good Seinen Animes I’ve seen are Gantz and Black Lagoon. I can just tell by reading that the fight scenes would be epic if they were animated correctly. I would recommend Madhouse Studios for the animation of course. But since it’s been seven years since the first volume came to light I don’t think it’s ever going to happen. There are a lot of other mangas that I think should be made into animes, but never are. An otaku can dream I guess.

The story is about a cute little loli by the name of Haruka Toyama who is gifted with precognition. Meaning she can see the future. As a result a company called EX-SOLID desire her power and contracts a Yakuza gang to kidnap her. As shes being transported in a car by some goons she meets a blind guy named Mamoru Hijikata. Or rather she forces him to meet her as she has a vision of him becoming her husband. She escape the car runs to meet Mamoru and asks him to protect her “Until Death Do Them Part”. Sounds like some kind of cheesy soap opera. But let me tell you, it’s not. This manga ain’t kiddish…it’s violent as hell.

Despite being blind Mamoru has cool shades which enables him to see the world digitally. He uses various other tech that enables him to get a good view of his surroundings. One of which are called “Loud Healers”. Tiny little disk shaped gizmos that shoot out of a handheld device and emits ultrasonic waves when they crack. Did Hiroshi think of Dare Devil when he wrote this?. In fact this manga is loaded with a bunch of japan movie clichés:

Blind Samurai that can cut bullets…Check!
    Female supporting character who the protagonist wants to protect…Check!
    God complex Terrorists and Yakuza…Check!

But in the end it doesn’t bother me to bad. It’s difficult being 100% original nowadays anyway. Using the shades and a katana he keeps in his walking cane – which I found god mod awesome – he slices the guys guns in half and kicks ass while lugging the little brat around with him. Eventually they meet up with Ryotaro Igawa, Mamoru’s partner in crime and make there getaway. It becomes apparent that they both are members of an elite vigilante paramilitary commando group called “The Elements Network” (Abbreviated as EN). The members of EN are all direct or indirect victims of violent crimes who organize and inform anonymously over the Internet. Sadly however they try not to kill the criminals. What they do is make them bleed in an attempt to get them to rethink there actions and only kills them under dire situations. One would think: “Wow that’s lame!” But let me tell you right now. Mamoru doesn’t play around when punishing bad guys. He does a number of things when there down or disarmed. My favorite of which is when he stabs his sword through there cheeks when there down and slices them out. Dude is brutal! And Haruka’s supposed to marry this guy!?

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 1big2

[img]Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 2big

Once the small fries are taken care of Mamoru then goes to the lair of the Yakuza who are after Haruka and begins cleaning house in an attempt to get the loli off his back. But when he learns that it’s a terrorist group called EX-SOLID who’s pulling the strings of the Yakuza he lets the boss off with a warning (he cuts the nerves in his arms preventing him from ever firing a gun again) and the endeavor to protect Haruka from EX-SOLID begins – all the while she helps EN cut up terrorists and bad people.

EN is split into two separate teams: “Blade” and “The Wall”.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 9
    Mamoru’s finishing move.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 13
    Mamoru kicking ass.

Blade only consists of Mamoru and Igawa. They deal with low level street crimes such as murder, yakuza, drug dealers and rapists. However Mamoru’s the only one who does the fighting. Igawa – the teams technical expert – sits in his pimped out little van watching everything through Mamoru’s shades. He’s the brains of the team if you will.

The Wall on the other hand is an international anti-crime unit. They are a well organized and pretty badass bunch of commandos. But they also follow the EN policy of “teach not kill” unless forced to in order to survive.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 11
    “The Wall” comes to crash the Party.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 41
    Ryotaro Igawa tells a little about Mamoru’s shades.

The artwork in this manga is awsome! Especially the dark ally scenes where Mamoru looks all serious and ready to kick ass. The action scenes are drawn really clearly adding for some suspense and only furthers my wishes for an anime adaptation. And the digital representation of what Mamoru see through his teched out shades add for some nice unique imagery. The characters are all drawn stylishly with there own cool guy looks and styles. Ryotaro with his cornrow always dressing fly is one such note I want to make on that point.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 16
    In the second volume omake, the topic of panties pops up.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 101
    Ryotaro likes graffiti.

A cool little side to the manga is that at the end of each volume DOUBLE-S puts funny omakes portraying the ordeals of him and his assistants as they were drawing the manga. And there all hilarious. These guys are pretty overly dramatic.

In the end – aside from some of the cliche plot devices – this is a vary solid action Seinen. If blind samurais cutting criminals up and cute lolis are fetishes of yours, head over to TenManga and enjoy.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 15
    Ryotaro & Sierra when they find out about Haruka’s vision about Mamoru.

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) 8
    Mamoru you lucky little shit!

My Score: 7/10
    + Nice Artwork.
    + Nice Action.
    + Cute Loli.
    - Cliche Plot Devices.
    - THIS SHOULD BE AN ANIME DAMNIT!
    TarranceDale192
    TarranceDale192

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) Empty Re: Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2)

Post  TarranceDale192 Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:40 pm

This looks awsome When I get the time I well indeed read this. Haruka is indeed cute. Any Yuri in it?
    TylerJunky
    TylerJunky
    Admin

Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2) Empty Re: Review of “Until Death Do Us Part” Manga (Volumes 1 – 2)

Post  TylerJunky Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:42 am

TarranceDale192 wrote:This looks awsome When I get the time I well indeed read this. Haruka is indeed cute. Any Yuri in it?

I have'nt seen any yet but like the review says. I've only read the first two volumes. Razz
    OtakuSiner91
    OtakuSiner91

Post  OtakuSiner91 Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:13 pm

I to think this would be a pretty bad ass anime. The creaters of Gantz translated the art style to animation quite well why can't a studiot do it with this. But I really hope they don't go the filler ending route like they did with the Gantz anime. That would ruin it for me.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:07 am